Monday, November 9, 2009

Chimerical. C-h-i-m-e-r-i-c-a-l. Highly unrealistic, wildly fanciful... I love you...

I figure it's about time for my monthly update.

I am so incredibly frustrated with medical professionals. As a warning, this may be considered TMI, and if you choose not to continue reading, that's fine. For the last two months they have had me on a rollercoaster of emotions! I initially went to the doctor to refill my birth control. At that point I had been four days late. The doctor talked to me about the length of my cycles, which are abnormally long, especially for being on bc. With bc you should have a 28 day cycle, having a period every time you hit the white pills. My cycles are 41 days long, bc or no. So I would have some months where my period landed during white pills, some months where my period came during blue pills, and some months where it doesn't come at all. After talking to the doctor she said she needed to look at something, and left. When she returned she very bluntly said that I could not have children because I am not ovulating. Talk about being hit in the stomach with a bag of bricks! She continued to explain that cycles longer than 35 days don't experience ovulation. She said she normally would have given my a pregnancy test, but there was no point in it. She then sent me to a lab to do a blood test to check hormone levels, and referred me to a gynecologist. Four vials of blood and three hours later I'm sitting in my car sobbing like a baby. Fast forward a couple weeks, still no period. I went to the gyno, who they gave me no option as to the gender of, and had an exam. He said everything seemed normal, but didn't understand why I wasn't given a pregnancy test. He said that there is always a chance that I did get pregnant, and sent me for a test. Afterwards he said the more likely explanation was that I had polycystic ovarian syndrome. He also said that the way it looked, the longer Alex and I wait to have a baby the harder it's going to be to get pregnant. He said that if it was PCOS there were things we could do, and there was a good chance we would get pregnant. He had me schedule an ultrasound and prescribed me provera to start my period. Alex and I talked about everything and decided we were going to start ttc in June after he gets rated in air traffic control. Fast forward a few more weeks, still no period. I still haven't started the provera because the lab won't give me the results of my pregnancy test, and I can't start the pills until we know I'm not pregnant. I go for my ultrasound, at the end of that I asked what she saw. She refuses to tell me anything. IT'S MY EFFING BODY! WHY THE HELL WILL NO ONE TELL ME ANYTHING?? So I then storm to the women's clinic to demand my results where I am then told to call a million different numbers. I finally get a call saying I am not pregnant and to start my pills. Fast forward two and a half weeks to a few days ago, I just started my period. I went to the gyno to review my ultrasound results. He says I do not have PCOS, and they don't see any reason for my body to be doing what it is. He says he thinks I ovulate, but it's just very sporadic. He says the only thing they really found was a nabothian cyst on my left ovary, but those aren't much of anything. The only thing odd about that was that it was on my ovary, normally they show up on the uterus. Other than that, he said he didn't know what to tell me. He said something is obviously going on, they just can't figure out what. The only way they'll really be able to figure anything out is if I stop taking bc and we start trying for a baby. I asked if he still thinks we need to try for a baby sooner rather than later, and he says he won't know until Alex and I start ttc. Then he prescribed me a stronger dose of bc and said he wants to meet in December to see what that does. So basically, I'm kinda broken and they don't really know exactly how to fix me. After talking to Alex, he's not so sure he wants to try for a baby as soon unless the doctor recommends we do. When I go see the doctor again I'm going to ask him what he thinks, and what exactly we need to do to find out where things are going. I should have started my new birth control yesterday, but I can't get myself to do it. I've done some reading online, and there are a lot of women who have trouble getting pregnant after getting off bc... If there's the chance I'm going to have more issues in the long run even without bc, do I really wanna make it more difficult? I'm just a little scared of the possibility... I haven't told Alex about that yet... I don't think he'd be too happy. I just really don't know what to do about that situation...

Additionally, I was fired from Dairy Queen. Although, I feel I must add that had she not asked me to leave, I would have left that very day on my own. I had informed her days before that the milk we were using was expired by a couple days. It didn't smell bad at that point, but if it wasn't finished that day it needed to be tossed. three days later, we were still using milk with the same expiration date. I brought this to her attention again, and refused to sell anything made with that milk. So she went to the back, pulled out a new jug. She then quickly added the milk to the milkshake that had been ordered, and put it away. The whole thing struck me as odd, so I pulled the jug back out and looked at the date. It had expired on October 31, and the current date was November 7. It was two days older than the milk I had originally refused to sell. What topped it all off was the fact that the milkshake was made for a little girl! After the customers left I told Mrs. Kim that this was disgusting and wrong and I was tired of doing it. I was tired of selling rotten ice cream to customers. We bickered back and forth about for about ten minutes. She said I should have told her that the ice cream mix smelled bad in the mornings, that there was nothing she could do if I didn't tell her. That's when I snapped and said I did tell her, I made her smell it most mornings, and she never did anything about it, she sold it! I told her I was not going to be responsible for getting people sick. I told her it was disgusting, and Alex and I don't eat there for exactly that reason. That was when she told me maybe it was best if I just went home. I told her I agreed and I was sorry things didn't work out.

I was so fucking proud of myself for actually standing up to her. And then I went home and took a nap because I was emotionally drained.

I enrolled in spring classes, and I'm pretty excited! I'm taking Math, Music Appreciation, Basic Musicianship, World Religion, and Intro to Teaching. I think it'll be an intense semester, but worth it. By February I'll probably hate it :o)

Okay, I think that's enough typing for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment